Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Recipe: Primal Dirty Rice



Allow me to re-introduce myself...

I'm sure you've noticed I've been away for a while. I've been traveling a bit with the Hubby, seeing family and friends. I've also been accumulating some life experiences. I still don't feel comfortable sharing, but let's just say that I'll have plenty of time to blog in a couple of weeks while I get back to being myself.

Wow, that was cryptic.

Anyhoo, here's a recipe I made up TONIGHT! Here is what happens when I start to cook a meal without a specific recipe... I started with the idea of chicken livers and cauliflower rice with gravy. This weekend we went to Hubby' MawMaw's house to celebrate her 85th birthday, and she made the BEST milk gravy I have probably ever had...ever.  I wanted to replicate her deliciousness, but I didn't want to taint it's goodness with coconut milk. I know, I know, I love coconut milk too.  But I made the mistake of getting the sweetened variety, and sweetened coconut milk should not be used for gravy making in my book. So now I had to improvise (actually, I was already improvising, haha!). All of a sudden, after I threw my chopped onions in the sautéing cauli-rice, I realized that I was on my way to making dirty rice!

Primal Dirty Rice...how sexy does that sound?!?


Primal Dirty Rice

Ingredients:

1 lb of chicken livers (preferably pastured organic)
1 1/2 cups of coconut milk (optional)
6 tbsp of coconut flour
4 tbsp of corn meal (opional. I had some non-GMO organic on hand)
2 tbsp of cajun seasoning, divided
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp of salt
1 cup of olive oil, divided
2 tbsp butter
1 large head of cauliflower, processed or chopped to resemble rice
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup of frozen peppers


Directions:
1. Rinse and trim your chicken livers (trim away anything that looks sinewy or tough), then put your livers in a dish with coconut milk and let soak for about 1 hour. This will take away some of the bitter taste of the livers.
2. Pour half of your oil in a deep skillet set on medium high. Mix up the coconut flour, corn meal, 1/2 of the cajun seasoning, paprika, and salt in a bowl to dredge livers. When oil is hot (i.e. shimmering), begin dredging your livers and dropping them into the pan to fry. Make sure both sides of the livers are deep brown. About half way through your frying process, you may need to change out the oil. Dump the old oil in a glass or metal cup or can, then pour the other half of your new oil in the pan and continue frying until all the livers are cooked. Set to the side on a paper towel to drain.
3. In a fresh pan (or a freshly wiped out pan), melt your butter over medium heat. Toss in your cauliflower, onion, and peppers along with the other half of your cajun seasoning and some more salt to taste. Let veggies sauté until the texture of the cauli-rice suits your taste. Then toss in the cooked livers and chop them up in the rice with your spoon or spatula.
4. Eat and enjoy!

For more great recipes from around the Blogosphere, visit: Pennywise Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, and Party Wave Wednesday!

6 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! I seriously need to eat more liver. My stress levels are through the roof now and the B vitamins would only help. I hope you're well and you get settled from your traveling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Kelly! This may be by far my best offal recipe yet. It took a little time to fry all the livers, but its totally worth it in the end. I'd just make sure you cook the recipe on a day you are not in a rush.

      Delete
  2. I haven't ever had liver, but this recipe sounds SO GOOD, I may have to try it!! My husband LOVES dirty rice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Heather! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! Frying livers is definitely a great way to introduce them to your diet. Livers do pop quite a bit during the frying process, so wear long sleeves or use a really deep pan. I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. I really want to learn to eat liver. I know it's so nutritious. Maybe I'll get brave and try this! Thanks for linking up!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jo-Lynne! Thanks so much for visiting my blog! As I commented earlier, frying livers is a good way to start eating it! Another tip is to add a 1/4-1/2 lb of livers to whatever ground beef meals your family typically enjoys (spaghetti, chili, shepherd's pie, etc.) You're family won't even know it's in there!

      Delete