Sunday, September 23, 2012

A Lesson Learned

My weekends go by very quickly during this time of year. My husband and I are both working quite a bit. The perk is extra money, but the downer is only having one full day in the week to spend together. For any newlyweds out there, you know that that one day can be great or...interesting...depending on how the rest of your week went. Dave and I had a couple rough moments today, but some discussion, a little wine and some cuddling made it all better :)

Yep, we're that cute. Just ask Allie :)

I did, however, come away from this weekend with a very important lesson learned: always budget MORE for car repairs than you think is necessary. I thought I had done the preventative thing by taking my car to my mechanic (who is a saint, by the way) for an inspection-before-the-official-inspection to pick up on any issues that needed to be addressed. As always, the Saintly Mechanic found an issue and fixed it perfectly for less money than he quoted us!! I thought I was getting away with spending LESS money than anticipated on my car...but cars don't work that way, folks.

I take my car in for the official inspection, and what do they find? Fifteen hundred dollars worth of other repairs that caused my car to fail, that's what they found! So, naturally, I was pissed. But then I realised, how else would these guys make money but off of helpless women like myself? I told my husband what the deal was, and he assured me that the Saintly Mechanic would know what to do. To be continued on that story, but I hope we're in for a happy ending.

The moral of this story, however, is clear. Make sure you have money set aside for car repairs... A LOT of money (I'm aware of my repetitiveness, but its just that important). Especially if you drive a used car. It's inevitable that you'll need it, and I'm so thankful that my husband had the presence of mind to keep the budget a little more strict this month so that we could handle our car conundrums comfortably (oh yes, gotta love some alliteration).

Have I mentioned how much I love my husband?

Also, this weekend I celebrated our Fall-like weather with 2 scrumptious soups - Beef Stew with Dumplings and Potato and Corn Chowder!  I'll be posting these recipes this week!


Love,

Mrs. Curly Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment